Browse Items (117 total)

  • Tags: City of Derby

face-man.png
TermApr. 19, 1977 - Apr. 07, 1981 elected Apr. 05, 1977 and ran unopposed for the Ward II seat vacated by Larry Gould sworn in Apr. 19, 1977 re-elected Apr. 03, 1979 and ran unopposed did not seek re-election in 1981

Arkansas River.jpg
In 1871, Dr. Henry Clay Tucker arrived in this area from Ohio and began practicing medicine. With no bridge across the Arkansas River, he often swam across to tend to patients west of the river.

In 1873, an influx of people to El Paso, Kansas…

Smith Farm and St Mary.jpg
In 1912, Oliver and Alice Smith began a family farm on 240 acres, including this current park land. In 1938, Robert and Mildred Smith took over the farm. In the 1950s, the Smith farm sold to build houses needed for the post-war baby boom. From 1953…

2020-09-26 16.35.48.jpg
In March 1924, this red brick building opened as the third school at this site. It had 10 classrooms, study hall, small office, two modern lavatories and a gymnasium/auditorium. From 1924 to 1953, this was the only public school in town; high school…

El Paso Cemetery.jpg
El Paso Cemetery sits on a slight hill in the center of Derby but was once surrounded by farmland and was about a mile southeast of the growing settlement. In 1878, the cemetery opened, 9 years after the Garrett family staked a claim near the bank of…

Garrett Homestead.jpg
Alexander and Margaret (Dickson) Garrett were the first settlers to put down roots in what was first El Paso and was renamed Derby, Kansas. In 1869, the area was considered Indian Territory (Osage Trust Lands) and had many transient traders, trappers…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2